knitting projects & the Ravelympics

Friday, February 12, 2010

Saying that I fell off the wagon in the yarn buying department lately is a major understatement! But, I have been busy knitting up my purchases lately and making a dent in my stash.
hot water bottle cover with Plucky Knitter Scraps
I have been slightly obsessed with hot water bottles lately. They seem like a great alternative to heating pads because they are inexpensive and don't require electricity. I knit this up with a few leftover balls of The Plucky Knitter Worsted Merino Singly Ply and had fun playing around with stripes. Now I'm just waiting to get cramps or a muscle ache so I can try out its healing powers :). In the meantime, I'm using it to warm up my feet at night in bed. Here's a link to the pattern that I found via flickr: Green Olives Designs Hot Water Bottle Cover and my ravelry project link: craftr's Hot Water Bottle Cozy.
hot water bottle cover

--

My sister and I visited a local yarn shop (her second trip to a yarn store with me) and she was totally in love with all of the bright colors. I even caught her looking over her shoulder to see if anyone was watching her before she leaned down to smell the yarn. I think that she is slowly becoming a convert to knitting and yarn buying. She picked up two balls of yarn to make a scarf and I came away with these two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Worsted. I couldn't pick out my favorite color, so I bought both.
stash for ravelry
stash for ravelry

darkside cowl
I cast on immediately for the Darkside Cowl (rav link) and finished it up in two days because it was so much fun to knit with and the pattern was fun to follow. Here are the details on ravelry: craftr's Darkside Cowl.

--
stash for ravelry
I bought this yarn, Plymouth Trabajos del Peru, after I saw a sample of these handwarmers knit up at
a local yarn shop (samples do help drive sales!). These were a quick knit and the yarn is so soft and great to knit. Here are the details on Ravelry: craftr's Ribbed Handwarmers
handwarmers

---
new project from Knitscene

I've taken the plunge and joined the Manic Purl Podcast Ravelympic group on Ravelry for the 2010 Ravelympics. I'll be casting on tonight during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics for the Helleborous Yoke Cardigan from the new Knitscene Magazine. If everything goes according to plan, I'll have knitted a complete sweater once the Olympics are over on February 28. Wish me luck! It's not too late to join a Ravelympic team if you want to jump on the bandwagon.

19 comments

  1. Love the colors in the hot water bottle cover and the wonderful Plymouth Trabajos del Peru yarn--almost prettier in the skein than in the hand warmers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo jealous! We don't have a yarn store anywhere in the vicinity. My yarn purchases are either online (you can't smell or feel the yarn there!)or from Walmart, Michael's or a 1 1/2 hour drive to JoAnn's. Sigh... those colors are soooo lovely... can't wait to see your sweater. I'm a slow knitter so I hope to have the scarf that I'm already working on done by the end of the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that hot water bottle cover!!! I've only just started knitting (first project a scarf and its taking me ages!!!). Would love to graduate to making one of these one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've been busy! I love the little turtle neck on the hot water bottle cover. Your cowl and mittens look great. Good luck on your sweater, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful yarns and projects! That yarn in the top photo looks luscious! Is that the Plucky Knitter Worsted? Best of luck on the Ravelrympics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've been busy with some great projects! I really want to make your Ravelypics sweater sometime - can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo the rest of the comments by saying "wow!", that's a lot of work! I love the cowl, that's definitely going on my queue...
    Good luck on the Ravelympics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. look at all those goodies! i am in the process of busting the stash... no more yarn until i use up most of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the knitting - love love love the textures. Thanks for adding the links too - this is really kind of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeousness - all of it! And what a fun way to spend the Olympics...I have to spend the first three days in a tent :-) but I'll be taking my crocheting to see if I can get the hang of it while we are camping - then I can have something to do while watching the Olympics too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely knitty goodness! Love the colors in that Darkside Cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell off the bandwagon and bought new yarn. I was so good in January and then, I went overboard the other day. Ooops. Your knitting is looking great -- I love the waterbottle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what lovely, lovely yarn - love the hot water bottle cover and your wristwarmers are almost as wonderful as mine, that Midge knitted for me. Yes, I'm biased, lol - I love them SO much. Enjoy your knitting - I'm going to be sewing during the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you've been busy! I love that cardigan, I still have not made myself a sweater yet, now there are two that I've seen on blogs that I like. I love the hot water bottle, and warming up your feet at night in bed with it, is genius! Nice fingerless gloves as well, another project that's been on my list. I've got to get some yarn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful projects! you have been quietly knitting up a storm over there - very lovely!
    your olympic project looks amazing - good luck! go for the gold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have been very busy knitting! What a great hot water bottle cover and a great way to sue up the leftovers. Good luck on Ravelympics! I got roped into joining this morning even though I was not interested.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! what wonderful projects! I think I love them all...if only I had some of your wonderful yarn in my stash...
    best wishes on Ravelympics. that sweater is gorgeous and when knit with the yearn, even more so! can you share what yarn you chose?

    ReplyDelete
  18. that hot water bottle cover are so beautiful!! i love that Plymunth trabajos del Per√∫ yarn! it looks so great and luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow these are all so gorgeous! as always, the colors are just glorious and the pattern/yarn you chose for the ravelympics is so scrumptious! can't wait to see how it comes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It