Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Nine Patch a Day Quilt
I joined Amanda's Nine Patch a Day quilt along last April and finished the first half of the blocks in May and the second half of the blocks in June. I finally got around to piecing the top of the quilt in November and basting it together in December. I spent last weekend quilting it and finally finished sewing the binding on last night. Phew...that was a long project! And to put things in perspective, Amanda made two of these identical quilts, along with a handful of other quilts, in the time that it took me to make one. She is amazing!
I used a flat sheet from IKEA for the backing and fabric from one of Amber's destash sale bundles (she's having another destash sale right now at her etsy shop). I used Julie's Perfect Binding tutorial for the first time and I was so impressed with how nice the binding join looks.
I was so excited to pull this out of the dryer last night in all of its crinkly goodness. The quilt is a twin size (68"x86") and used 70 different nine patch blocks. Each square in the nine patch was 2.5" before sewing.
It's on its way to a special someone later this year, so I have just a little while longer to stare at it before I give it away.