hits and misses

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I started my second weaving project last weekend. I was so excited to use this Noro Sakura yarn for the warp. Sakura is so pretty in the skein. Some parts of it are wound tightly and look just like friendship bracelets and other parts look like bi-color handspun.

I meticulously wound it on my warping pegs (extra long for good measure).
Weaving project #2
I got Jon to help me wind the warp on my loom - evenly and with cardstock, too.

Weaving project #2
And then I started weaving. My selvedge edges are much better this time around thanks to Angela's tip to use 2 threads on each end of the warp instead of one.

Weaving project #2
After a few cranks of the warping peg, a few warp lengths started coming
unraveled. While the scarf looks okay in this photo, it's much worse up close. Let's just say that Noro is not strong enough for warping and double knots or scotch tape will not fix broken length of warp!  I should have given up when I first saw that scraggly threads coming through the rigid heddle, but I kept going.

After a few days of staring at this project, I've decided to rip it out and save the weft yarn (my precious Plucky MCN Sport!) for another project.  Fortunately, I got the Sakura on super sale at my LYS, so I'm only out about $5 and a few hours of crafting time.

I will happily mail the unused Sakura off to anyone who wants to use it for a craft project of some sort (there's about 70, 3 yard pieces of this stuff). Just leave a note in the comments and I'll mail it off.

15 comments

  1. That is such a shame. The two yarns worked beautifully together. But I am so glad you were able to save the Plucky Yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a shame that this didn't turn out very well. it looks beautiful in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer, I'm sorry it didn't work out. It did look very nice though. And I'm very impressed with your weaving skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh such a pretty yarn! so unfortunate it didn't work out... you make me want to learn how to weave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with everyone else - sorry it didn't work out because it sure is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful colors, they would make great tassels. If you really want to give it away I would love it. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really too bad it didn't turn out well because it looks so lovely on the loom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so beautiful, what a bummer it didn't work - but good for you for trying it, you learn something with each trial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos are pure eye candy...even if it didn't come out as you'd like. Hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah, wonder how you'll deal with these comments, looks like Julie wants the yarn! I'm glad, because I'd hate it if the yarn was thrown out, I'm all for saving, but I honestly wouldn't know what to use it for... I like how the colours of the base and weave yarn played together, hopefully you can find something similar but stronger to try again. Can you tell me how much it cost to get the loom and how wide a piece you can weave on it? I'm sure you told us that last piece of info when you got it, please forgive me for not going to search for the info myself. I remember weaving as a kid, don't know where, but I loved sending the shuttle through the layers and then switching them. In northern Newfoundland is a norse site, rebuilt to show where the vikings landed and tried to establish a settlement. they had a Norse loom there that was really simple, using rocks as weights to balance the different backbone threads, what did you call them, the warp I guess. But rather than building my own which then may fail for lack of Viking knowledge (haha), it'd be smarter to buy one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just realized why I've never joined Twitter and kind of don't understand it - I can't write SHORT things! Most of my comments are book chapters ;) Hope you don't mind

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor you. I would have been so frustrated. My mom goes through the same thing -- sometimes she starts and stops a project 10 times before getting it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, that is sad! the colors are stunning, I hate when things like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, Noro - beautiful but splitty as all get out! One thing I learned while knitting with Noro is how to spit splice. Yep, totally gross sounding. But it works! Gotta love those tips from Elizabeth Zimmerman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, i'm sorry the project didn't work out - it looked like it had such potential.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It