After cutting out the pieces for my Single Girl quilt, I ended up with nearly a fat eighth of each of the 35 fabrics. I cut the leftover fabric into 3.5" squares and stored them away for a later patchwork project. I loved how the Single Girl quilt came out, but I wanted to see more of the fabrics featured in a new quilt.
First, I took 32 squares from my pile and made a cross stitch project bag.
Then, when I finally got the urge to do a large scale patchwork project, I dug around in my scrap bin to pull out more coordinating fabrics. This quilt used over 500 squares. I started by chain piecing pairs together until I ran out of fabric. After, I chain pieced pairs together to make small blocks.
After the quilt was assembled and basted, I almost started quilting it with diagonal lines. Then my neighbor and quilty friend, Christina, suggested that I use dogwood quilting again. I balked at the suggestion because it takes so.much.work and so.much.thread, but I soon realized that she was right. I'm so glad I took the extra time to densely quilt this one.
It gave me lots of time to enjoy each piece of patchwork that went into this quilt, and it gave Koko and I some great lap time together (yes, it's quite difficult to maneuver around a lap dog while quilting).
I've recently discovered the ingenuity and forward planning that is stocking up on 5 yard pieces of backing fabric when it's on sale. If I stick to buying fabrics I love, I will no doubt be able to use them as a backing in the future. I used this great hot pink Sun Prints x+ fabric from my stash for the back and then used a stripey dotted green for the binding.
As a fun feature in the bottom corner, I added a scrap of pug fabric that my sweet guild mate, Vicki, gave me.
This quilt has been elevated to my living room couch quilt until my next favorite comes along.