I did it! I finally finished my first sweater! This project took forever to complete. I started back in January, set it aside for a while in February and then kicked it into high gear in March and April. I had originally planned to have it finished by our anniversary (3.18), but I think I was only done with the body and half of one sleeve by then.
Here it is in all its glory. The first time Jon tried on the finished sweater, it wouldn't fit over his head (imagine me trying to coax it over his head and Jon writhing in pain). Jon did manage to get it over his ears and his nose, after some stretching and pulling, though. So, I pulled out the neck line and started it before the 5th decrease and made it a bit wider. It's still a little tight, but he can get it over his head with much less pain now.
At first, the sweater was a bit snug on him, but after blocking it, I was able to stretch it out and now it fits nicely with some room to move.
I'm so glad it fits him! Half the time I was knitting this I was worrying about it not fitting Jon, so this project got to be a bit stressful near the end. But, it fits, he likes it and it's finished. Yay!
Here are the details:
Pattern: Cobblestone Pullover by Jared Flood
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool Merino
Color: Dark Olive
Skeins: 5 (1100 yds. total)
My gauge was a lot smaller than the specifications, so I went up a needle size. The gauge was still smaller then the recommended size, but I left it as is because Jon's chest is smaller than the small measurement and he doesn't like his clothes too baggy.
I made the body length 18" rather than the suggested 16" and I made the sleeve length 21" rather than 19" because Jon has long arms and a long torso.
For the body I cast on 166 stitches, rather than 176. For the arms I cast on 48 stitches rather than 52 stitches and did the increases as written. I followed the rest of the directions as written, except for taking out the final decrease.