I finally bit the bullet and pulled out the fabric for Melissa's quilt block. Because I went first in the quilting bee for Common Threads, this was my first time experiencing the performance anxiety that goes along with creating blocks for the bee.
Ideas had been stewing in my head for weeks and I sat down to make the block this afternoon and completely changed my plan.
After a quick search for piecing curves and circles, I found this tutorial link. I should have listened to step 3 a bit closer because I now have a little burn on my left ring finger from an iron attack. Don't worry...stuff like this happens to me all the time!
And, after sewing some stripe strips together I pinned the circle to the base and machine appliqued the circle onto the square. I partially used this machine applique tutorial from Elizabeth of Oh Fransson! that was just posted at Sew, Mama, Sew. She makes applique look so easy! I guess I just need more practice!
Here's the completed block. I hope you like it Melissa!