Soup Swap: Chorizo and Hominy Soup

Monday, October 20, 2008

Soup+swap

Jessica has another soup swap posted today. I've followed her example and have been making 3-4 soups every two weeks, freezing the soup in individual containers and then bringing soup to work for lunches. It's a great alternative to eating out for lunch or bringing lean cuisine meals and is much tastier. Here's one of the soups that I made this weekend (it's a lot tastier than it looks!):



Chorizo and Hominy Soup
from Rachael Ray Magazine November 2008
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 ounces chorizo sausage, finely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 32-ounce container chicken broth
1 29-ounce can white hominy, rinsed
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
4 corn tortillas, warmed

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, carrots, celery and garlic and cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and hominy and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Top with the cilantro and serve with the tortillas.

My variations: I used spicy breakfast sausage instead of chorizo and skipped the cilantro and tortillas.



5 comments

  1. that looks yummy! I was thinking sausage too so will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I think I need to join in on this Soup Swap dealio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of RR's recipes--this looks perfect to eat on a snowy day (or a fall day for that matter!) Thanks so much for joining in on this soup swap! Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks yummo! i've never thought to put chorizo in soup - but it sounds like it would taste good. i need to get my soup made for the next swap....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that looks delicious. I tried hominy just recently at a Mexican restaurant. Is it sold in a bag at regular grocery stores?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It