Knitting Projects

Monday, April 27, 2009



This was the other set of yarn that I bought at my LYS last week. They had this pretty cowl sample setting out in the store and I was immediately smitten with it. I went in search of the yarn for it only to find that it was actually a combination of two types of yarn, Debbie Bliss cashmerino superchunky and Nashua Handknits Ivy. The resulting fabric is plush, soft and a little bit sparkly. (Obviously I knit this in the wrong season...I was overheating in this picture. The cowl is really plush and warm. It will be great in Michigan winters!)




Details:

Yarn: 3 balls Debbie Bliss cashmerino superchunky (teal blue) and 2 balls Nashua Handknits Ivy (blue teal)
Pattern: The Patty Lane Cowl: Cast on 31 stitches with size 15 needles using the provisional cast-on. Knit 27 inches of
seed stitch. Twist to form moebius and then graft end and beginning of
cowl with the Kitchener stitch.
Rav link: craftr's Patty Lane Cowl







My next project on the needles is a striped vest for Jon (like this one at throughtheloops). I'm using the extra two balls of Cascade 220 in Satine left over from my Central Park Hoodie and two more balls of Cascade 220 in a brown heather. I just discovered the value of The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and am using the recipe in the book to make a custom fit vest for Jon.



I'm trying to teach myself how to knit continental style to hopefully improve my knitting speed. I did all of the stripes in the vest continental style, but it's so much more comfortable for me to knit English style. Should I stick it out learning continental style with this mindless stockinette or should I stick with what I know and like?



16 comments

  1. stick to it! stick to it! i started english and now i knit continental... so much faster, though it took a while to get familiar with it. i still don't know how to purl continental... that's next on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the cowl!
    and i'd say that if you're ever going to learn continental this seems like the time to do it (what with the mindless stockinette and all).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That vest is so cool! I love it. The colors are great. I knit continental style - because I learned how to crochet many (many) years ago, and it just seemed more natural to hold the yarn in my left hand (ok, sorry, TMI). However, I don't think I'm all that fast. I really want to knit as fast as Eunny Jang (lol, yeah, right), but she goes so fast I don't what she does to knit so danged fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no right or wrong way of knitting. I have seen people who knit English style like a machine. So, it really depends on what you are most comfortable with. The more confortable you are with a technique, the faster you will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't do it if you don't like it! It'll ruin your enjoyment of knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found that by the time I was finished with one (SMALL) skein of yarn, my hands had gotten used to the 'different' way of knitting. I never went back to English after that.
    But I wonder, I've been reading a number of posts and discussions about ways to knit faster. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. eh. i don't see the point in just knitting faster. knitting gets done if you actually sit and knit, no matter how slow or fast you are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say try continental. I'm also an English style knitter, and I'm excruciatingly slow. I've been thinking of switching over, but it's hard when you're so comfortable knitting a certain way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say stick to it! By the time you finish the vest (or sooner) it will feel more natural. Very pretty cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continental sounds so perfect, but it doesn't make sense in my brain. I need to find a human to teach me since the books have only further crossed my eyes. That cowl is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That striped vest looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the yarn, love the color, love the projects and the new blog page!

    ReplyDelete
  13. jon's sweater is looking great! i love the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only i was a knitter. Your wares are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Digging your new look and thanks for the knitting inspiration - I'm in a lull.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It