Jon's striped vest

Saturday, May 30, 2009



I finished up this vest earlier this month and it's taken me this long to get a good photo of Jon wearing it! I guess it's hard to want to put on a wool vest when it's warm outside.





If you remember, when I first started it I was trying to teach myself to knit continentally. After reading all of your advice, I decided to switch back to what I was comfortable with (English style) and knit at my own pace. I'm much happier for it now!




Pattern: Basic Vest Pattern
Inspiration from this sweater at throughtheloops
Yarn: Cascade 220
Color 1: 2434 (leftover from my Central Park Hoodie)
Color 2: 8013
Size: 36"
Mods: I added an extra inch of underarm length and it fits with a little bit extra room under there now
Rav link: craftr's striped vest




I used the pattern from Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns for the general V-neck vest pattern. This is an extremely useful book and I will definitely be using it again to make some other custom garments.



18 comments

  1. this turned out fantastic! great work!
    you should be proud of yourself for attempting to knit a sweater continental, i don't have the guts to bravely step out of my comfort zone like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Gotta love Ann Budd - she gives me the confidence to switch things up and try new things in what are otherwise general/basic patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! You did a great job. I'm going to try the Henley striped vest that's in the latest Interweave mag - let's hope it turns out as great yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! Jon's not too shabby, either, is he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love it! What a cutie too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO impressed - I couldn't knit my way out of a wet paper bag. That turned out great! Hubby is a cutie too - I love how proud he looks to be wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - it's fantastic - you are so talented! He looks so cute in his vest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love knitting, but am no where near this standard yet. It looks fantastic - thanks for sharing and congrats on knitting such a great vest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It fits him perfectly! Great colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out great. I cast on my first sweater the other night and I'm slowly moving along. The whole wrap the yarn for increases is confusing the life out of me...I'm going to have to do the good old you tube search to find some help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is great! It fits great. I love the colors. Hopefully one day I will try to do something more with knitting besides the dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic! Good for you for sticking with what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jon is handsome and the sweater is wonderful! Congratulations! The best is can do are scarves and dishcloths....

    ReplyDelete
  14. so lovely! great color choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks great on him. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i really really like this! it looks perfect on Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all the striped vests I've been seeing - now I really want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tops are very stylish and cute as can be. You did a beautiful job on the vest. I am so proud of you and I dont even know you! Love Joanne/IL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It