I first learned about the Super Tote pattern after seeing Sarah's in person. I still kind of want to steal Sarah's bag because I am smitten with the typewriter fabric she used!
I made my first version based around a Marimekko print I've been hoarding for a few years. I made a few changes to the pattern, including eliminating the inner zip pocket and outer magnetic closure, and adding bias tape along the outer pocket instead of piping.
I was happy with everything about this bag, except the inner pockets. As written they were too flimsy and didn't have any extra lining or interfacing. In my next version, I folded the pocket fabric in half (right sides showing) when cutting out the pattern piece, ironed on interfacing to the inside of the pocket fabric and then followed the pattern as written. The pocket is now lined and is much sturdier.
My second version came about during an evening of stash folding. I pulled out this cute Charley Harper fabric and created a 2x2 grid of patchwork based on the focal bird print. I quilted the front pocket and the back bag panel before following the instructions as written.
I was able to give this bag to my dear friend, Catherine, on her Christmas break visit from Germany. She's a science teacher and has lots to lug around, so this bag fits the bill perfectly!
Now I'm considering making a giant 2x2 patchwork quilt because I love the look of all these fun prints together.
(gratuitous Koko shot with the back of the bag)