Hedgehog Quilt

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hedgehog Quilt
After basting the big zig quilt I was working on, I finally sat down to start quilting a million parallel zig zag lines. I threw in the towel after one zig zag, ripped out the quilting, unbasted the quilt and made a quick trip to Joann's to pick up some solids to make a completely different quilt. I think the big zig quilt will be cut apart and made into quilted throw pillows (much more manageable).

Hedgehog Quilt
I purchased a half yard pack of this hedgehog line by Michael Miller fabrics on etsy a month or so ago ago and it turned out to be the perfect set of fabrics to use to copy Erica's signature quilt pattern (seen here, here, here and here).

Hedgehog Quilt
The blocks of fabric were cut to 8.5" x 8.5" (8" x 8" with seam allowance) and there are 8 columns and 11 rows. I used five 1/2 yards of the prints and five 3/4 yards of solids (just to be safe). The final quilt is 64" x 88".

Hedgehog Quilt
The loopy quilting is much more my style than straight lines and I love how crinkly it turned out after a toss in the dryer.

Hedgehog Quilt
This quilt, along with the maverick star quilt made by my Bee Beautiful quilting bee buddies, is going to a teenage girl at Children's Village in Detroit.

24 comments

  1. I love it! And you just gave me an idea for the quilt that I want to do - thanks! Also, I don't think I congratulated on finishing your degree - Congratulations! That is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Rebekah! Great job on the loopy quilting, it's super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love simple quilts that show off the fabric so well. Very cute quilt with those little hedgehogs. Very cool of you to donate the quilts. I need to do that more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the colors and prints in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful quilt! i love the hedgehog fabric!
    you are so generous to donate the quilt, you will make a young girl very very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute. I love the mix of solids and prints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! The hedgehog line is just gorgeous, one of my favourites. The solids you added are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The solids really make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on the quilting! I'm very impressed. I have a hard time free motioning anything but stippling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I really like your loopy quilting, even more so that it is in a straight line. I'm going to have to try that. I just purchased some hedgehogs, they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is wonderful - someone is going to just love it! I'll have to check out Children's Village.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so, so wonderful Rebekah!!
    and so is your beautiful new header. just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, Rebekah! I really admire your quilting abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the simple squares and the quilting. Beautiful!
    Sad to hear the fate of the big zig. A couple years ago I also made a similar top and it has yet to be quilted. Do you think a long arm quilter would have been able to do what you had in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love it!! i like how looks the simple parchtwork and that funy quilting together!!
    do you used a home sewing machine to do that? that kind of quilting i only did it in a small proyect, like pillows... it is hard to do in a quilt like yours?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! What great fabric! And the quilting is fantastic. So nice of you to donate your time and talents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks warm and colorful and I'm sure this quilt will be very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always amazed at the ease in which you are able to give away your masterpieces. They are such things of beauty and yet you part with them. You must be a very generous, big-hearted woman. Someone, somewhere is sure to cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh the quilt is wonderful and the hedgehogs are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That quilt turned out great! Charity quilting is so rewarding. I love the loopdeloop quilting you did!

    ReplyDelete
  21. very nice! i have a soft spot for just plain squares quilts. love them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this quilt! great color choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It