mini projects

Friday, April 9, 2010

I will be done with my master's degree next Saturday(!) and I can almost taste the freedom! I've been finishing up little projects here and there lately because that's all that I can handle in my overused brain and overtired body.

Camera Case
Camera CaseCamera Case
I made this a few months ago to fit my new mini camera. I used this tutorial from Sew Mama Sew and made the dimensions a bit smaller for a snug fit. I actually made two cases because I wasn't following directions closely and made it too small. (The octopus print is facing in the right direction on the first case, but not on the final case). My only hint for the pattern is to sew the button on before sewing up the sides - it's a tight fit for a needle if you sew it on last.

Mittens
Mittens
This is from a basic mitten pattern that I found on ravelry. I've been wanting to work my way up to stranded mittens, so I thought I'd start with a basic pattern first to learn the details of mitten knitting. These ended up a little "off." On one mitten, the hand is too long and the thumb is to short. On the other mitten, the thumb is too long and the hand is too short. They fit well if I make a "C" with my hands, so I'm just going to leave them as is. Here's a link to my ravelry project for more details.

Maverick Star Charity Quilt

My dad recruited me to make a twin sized quilt for teen girls living at Children's Village in Detroit (his coworker is collecting handmade quilts). I made this quilt to donate and I recruited the ladies in the Bee Beautiful VQB to help make a second quilt. We all made Maverick Star blocks for the quilt and then I put the quilt top together and dropped it off at the long armer earlier this week. This is my first quilt being outsourced for quilting, so I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I discovered that my Doll Quilt Swap Quilt was included in a mosaic of solid quilts on Whipup today. It was fun to see my quilt included in such an inspiring mosaic. I spotted Amy's Zen Mini Quilt in there too.

31 comments

  1. Gorgeous charity quilt! And our mini quilts are right next to each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Maverick Star quilt looks great! Congrats on finishing up with your Master's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to be so near the end of a huge accomplishment! I hope your brain survives :) I need to make a case like that - yours is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a bunch of well done projects - especially the masters!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dream of the day that I can knit mittens like that. And that quilt is so beautiful....I saw it on Stephanies blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pouch is so cute, regardless of where the octopus faces. I've never been able to find a mitten pattern that fits my tiny hands so I've had to resort to using a kid's one and amending it to fit me lol
    I'm so anxious to see the quilt all quilted! What quilting pattern did you choose for it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to finish your masters!! Sweet little camera case, and that quilt is lovely. Thanks for posting the whipup link, I didn't realize it but one of my quilts is in the mosaic. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post! Congrats on finishing up your masters. Quite an accomplishment. The quilt is amazing and I love your notes about the mittens. Ah, the joy of handmade. The fabric for your camera cases rocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the maverick star quilt! What an awesome donation! And also thanks for posting the camera case tutorial. We just did a fat quarter swap last night at our Modern Quilt Guild meeting, and I have two fat quarters just itching to be sewn up into something fun like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the Whip Up link. I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my quilts on there, too!
    BIG CONGRATS on your impending graduation!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely projects, but better yet: Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your masters! Also congrats on getting your quilt on whip up, that's so cool :)
    Love your little camera pouch, great fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to you on finishing - that's awesome! I love your camera case and your mittens but especially that QUILT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely collection! That quilt is gorgeous...
    Congratulations on the Masters! That is an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the completion of your master's!! YAY!! :) I love all of your recent projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your masters! I am so excited for you.
    Your quilts are always gorgeous! What a wonderful thing to do for a charity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! Big milestone for sure!
    And lovely quilt. You always make beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how exciting to be finishing your Master's! Congratulations! It makes it even more amazing to see all of the wonderful things that you have made while in school. Being creative has probably been a good change of pace from studying!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The maverick star quilt is awesome! I made some similar squares last summer so I enjoyed seeing yours. What a great donation. And congrats on the Masters!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on finishing up grad school! And I can't wait to see the quilt finished!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on finishing your Masters! I love these projects, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. congrats for the masters!!!! love all your proyects and that doll quilt, is one of my favs of your quilt and really, is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The freedom of finishing your Masters is pretty amazing. I tell you, it is so very sweet. I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wow - one week away from finishing!?!? wonderful! congratulations!!
    all your "little" projects are pretty darned amazing! i love the colors in the mittens. and only you would say that putting together an entire quilt is a "little" project! you're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. okay how on earth can you post an entire gorgeous quilt under the title "mini projects"? it's beautiful, what a wonderful thing do to! love your camera bag and your mittens too, you always use the most fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful post of tactile goodness! I'll have to check out that camera case, I hate mine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A BIG congrats on your Masters!!! I love your star quilt and I see you were so much smarter than I was with my charity quilt (I had to pick something labor intensive! LOL!).
    I need to make a camera case (is on my to-do list). My sister made me a case for my i-pod. I'll post a picture of it on my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i L-O-V-E that maverick charity quilt. wow, it's beautiful.
    so excited for you for being so close to finishing your master's. yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on almost being done your master's. I work in the library field and have thought many times of going back to school for my master's. I love your mini projects and it was great to work on the maverick star quilt with you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations!! that's fantastic!
    I love your camera case, I have the same fabric wondering what to do with it ....
    Your post about your name made me laugh and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  31. by the time you read this, you'll be finished!! Congratulations!! sometimes mini projects help us move on to larger projects. and don't you just feel good checking little things off the list?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It