Charley Harper Quilt

Friday, April 11, 2014



Rapid City Quilt in Charley Harper Fabric

I fell in love with this Charley Harper fabric immediately, and I'm pretty sure I bought the entire collection the first day it was available. I didn't have a specific design or pattern in mind for it, so I searched for inspiration while waiting for the fabric to arrive.

Rapid City Quilt pattern from Modern Patchwork

When I checked out Elizabeth Hartman's book, Modern Patchwork, I was immediately struck by her Rapid City Quilt pattern. The pattern's aesthetic fits perfectly with the mid-century modern Charley Harper fabric, so it seemed like a perfect pairing.

Charley Harper Rapid City Quilt in Progress

Knowing that I was going to use the entire fabric collection in one quilt, I wanted to add my own selection of coordinating fabrics to make it more custom. The fabric line has two different color stories (blue/grey and orange/red), so I was also hoping to use these coordinating fabrics to tie the entire collection together.

Charley Harper Rapid City Quilt in Progress

Because the background grey that I used is very similar in value to some of the Charley Harper fabric backgrounds, I modified the pattern a bit. Each mini part of the block was fussy cut and the Charley Harper fabric was framed by coordinating fabric. The pattern, as written, only used four pieces of fabric for each smaller part of the block.  All of the rest of the dimensions in the quilt follow the pattern exactly.

Rapid City Quilt in Charley Harper Fabric

Rapid City Quilt in Charley Harper Fabric

Rapid City Quilt in Charley Harper Fabric

Charley Harper Quilt Back

The backing also followed the pattern, with the fussy cut modification for the for parts of the feature block.

Rapid City Quilt in Charley Harper Fabric

I followed the quilting guidelines in the pattern, which is based on Modern Quilt Studio's signature free motion pattern (also used previously on my Plain Spoken Quilt). I was nervous to start quilting this one, because it had taken so much time to develop the top and I was worried about ruining the overall design, but I'm super happy with the finished product!


Putting this quilt together was so much fun. It felt like I was making 64 mini quilts as I worked on the smaller portion of each block. As the blocks were combined into larger pieces, it was great to see how everything was coming together and unfolding. Lots and lots of pressing and squaring up went into this. I've finally realized that taking time to properly press and square up smaller portions of my quilts results in a much neater finished project and makes everything so satisfying! It was definitely time consuming, but I've found that the quilts for which I put in the most work, are usually my favorite.





8 comments

  1. that quilt is totally amazing!! and I just love those fabric with the Charley Harper's birds... I need to get some of them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh golly... i can't even breathe i love this quilt so so much!!!!
    it's absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Such a great design for the Charlie Harper fabric - I think you improved upon the quilt in the book. Best use of that fabric I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite at the A2 quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with Charley Harper a few years ago. Now his children's books are a standard shower gift for me. This quilt shows off your feature fabric in a very special way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It