new yarn, new project, old house

Wednesday, November 7, 2007



We've had a crazy little week around our house lately but fortunately things should be back to normal by Sunday. I'm off to Indianapolis for a convention tomorrow and Jon is filling up his social calendar while I'm away. Now I'm jealous that he gets to hang out with his friends while I have to work. I know, poor me...right?





I've been planning out my next knitting project (nevermind all of those other projects that I haven't finished). I'm going to attempt to knit a new hat for Jon (key word: attempt). This is my first time knitting anything that is not a rectangle, so I'm trying to understand how the whole circular needle or double pointed needle thing works. I've been watching tutorial videos on knittinghelp.com, so hopefully I can figure this out on my own. Our plan is for me to make him the Koolhaas Hat by Jared Flood of Brooklyn Tweed from the Interweave Knits Holiday issue. The cabling on it and the crown has such a neat design. I bought some really soft yarn for the hat last night: Berroco Pure Merino in Storm. It is so soft and almost feels as soft as the Debbie Bliss cashmerino yarn that everyone raves about. I'm pretty sure these Berroco Merino yarns that I've been using have solved our my wool-is-too-scratchy dilemna. My new circular needles are ready to go and now I've just got to wind the yarn into center pull balls.





And on a totally unrelated note...we've officially had our house for one year! I just pulled out our mortgage papers to see when our closing date was and it was just today. Man am I glad that we're not moving again this year or painting or installing blinds or making 101 trips to IKEA, Lowes and Home Depot for things we didn't know we needed. It's been a fun year in this house and Jon and I have enjoyed turning this place into our home.



4 comments

  1. Congrats on the 1 yr House Anniversary. I hear ya about the 101 trips to all the home improvement stores.
    You will love knitting in the round. My favorite is still knitting with circulars, but I am definitely comfortable with DPN's now. Good luck on the hat. That yarn you chose will look great with that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy one year!!
    I've been hesitant on attempting dpns. I tried to manage them a couple weeks back and it was terrible! They make me feel terribly uncoordinated. I'm going to get it though, but it's very slow going. Very! I'll bet you'll pick it up quickly though. Or at the very least, quicker than me! There are just so many darn great projects out there that use dpns, it's hard to avoid learning, huh?
    Can't wait to see the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that first photo - the color of the leaves looks so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a beautiful red color!
    Kind regards,
    Sonnja, from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It