random goodness

Wednesday, July 30, 2008


I’ve been doing a little experimenting with canning and pickling lately thanks to this great book that I found, The New Preserves: Pickles, Jams, and Jellies.

Here’s a quick and easy recipe that I tried out the other day with some fresh cucumbers from our garden:






Alicia’s 24-Hour Chips

1 salad cucumber or three small pickling cucumbers
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp. Sugar (optional)

Wash and peel the cucumbers and cut crosswise.
Layer the slices in a suitable container with lid, then fill about halfway up with vinegar. If desired, sprinkle with sugar. Eat in one to three days. Store in refrigerator.






I absolutely love fresh cut tomatoes on pizza…it’s fun having garden and farmer’s market food to depend on in the summer to pull together quick and easy meals like this. The crust recipe is from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.





In quilting progress, I was able to arrange the blocks yesterday for the Plain Spoken quilt. Unfortunately, due to a user error on my part, the quilt no longer looks like this. I had stacked the blocks in rows for easy sewing and then inadvertently turned the rows into columns. Luckily, I caught the error of my ways halfway through sewing the top, so I was able to arrange it and cover the mistake without having to use a seam ripper (yay!).





Here’s a finished object that I’ve been working on since Father’s day. It’s Elisa’s Nest Tote from thepurlbee.com. I procrastinated on this way too long because I didn’t have time to sit down and figure out how to do an applied I-cord and I finished up the Kitchener stitch for the handles this afternoon. While I was looking at whipup this afternoon, I noticed a post with a tutorial for a modification for this bag. I have an unfinished yellow version waiting in the wings that I might use to try out the new handle option. The bag was made with size 10.5 needles and turquoise Sugar N Cream yarn. Now I'll have to see if my shoddy craftsmanship holds up with a trip to the farmer's market this weekend! It's looking doubtful!



12 comments

  1. I love cucumbers made like that. Yummy! Your quilt is gorgeous and your bag looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cucumbers sound so good and I happen to have 2 fresh from the farm that I can use to make them! Yummy!
    I can't wait to see the quilt finished. It is loaded with great color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plain spoken quilt looks really colourful and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plain Spoken renews my love for Kona solids. This is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love refrigerator pickles. (My recipe adds a pinch of dried basil, dried parsley, & dried red pepper flakes.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why you think that bag won't work...it's super cute! I just started knitting and hope to knit a bag like this at some point...but first I want to get a little more comfortable with me needles. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Random. Love Color. You've been busy.
    A New Favorite Quilt for me to love ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much goodness in one post! The food looks yummy, the quilt looks like a work of art, and the bag makes me want to go shopping for fresh veggies right now! I have a couple of market bag patterns that I want to crochet, but I can't seem to get past the second row of this derned ripple blanket without ripping and starting over. I'm giving it one more shot tonight before I seek some help. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's just how i eat my cucumbers..a little vinegar, a bit of sugar...mix and eat...yummm! love your plain spoken. i would love to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't the Plain Spoken pattern fabulous? I love how easily it goes together, too. How will you quilt it? I am most curious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum-O! That pizza is making my mouth water. I love tomatoes! That quilt top is coming along nicely. I'm sure it will turn out great even though it may look a little different than you originally planned. Yay for no seam ripping! I love the plain fabrics. Looks like you have been super busy. The bag is georgous. One day I will learn to knit (or so I keep telling myself).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those cucumbers also. I you like dill try adding a little next time you make them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It