Day of the Dead Embroidery

Saturday, October 17, 2009

My embroidery has fallen to the wayside as I've gotten into knitting more. I've got lots of patterns from sublime stitching waiting to be stitched up and I recently found this fun embroidery site, Badbird (via QuiltDad). I heart the buffalo pattern and would love to stitch that up someday.





I have a hard time doing embroidery because I'm just not sure what to do with the finished piece. Do you have any suggestions for me for cute, finished embroidery projects? So far, I've incorporated them into a quilt, made a pillow and made some fabric backed tea towels.





Day of the Dead is almost here and I've been seeing lots of fun DOTD embroidery popping up on blogs. Here's a collection of some of my favorite pieces:





 Mosaice91b877639355c27135e91ba4c875a9cb673a0e7






1. Memento Mori necklace, 2. Marigold Sugar Skull, 3. Front - Day of the Dead mirror case, 4. details, 5. Day of the Dead Portrait, 6. Sugar Skull Brooch, 7. Day of the Dead Magnets, 8. Sugar Skull Softie Stack, 9. WIP






And here is my favorite Day of the Dead themed embroidery project of all time:







14 comments

  1. I love embroidered pillow cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that embroidery pillow!!!! looks very mexican... about suggestions i thing you can use your embroidery on an apron, purse, or lingerie bag...
    have a nice saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just printed out a Day of the Dead embroidery pattern the other day. I'm so excited to start on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Hmmm, suggestions... on tote bags, or how about just framing it to hang on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you can put embroidery on anything - looks especially great on a jean jacket! I have some very plain t-shirts that I would love to embellish.
    Jenny Hart has GREAT designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, how about aprons. Little embroidered pockets on aprons. And if you know any babies, little embroidered onsies and bibs are always nice. Or just embroider for embroideries sake, and frame it and hang it on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. I also have a bunch of little embroideries I haven't done anything with. I was at the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin festival yesterday and saw some aprons done with the Day of the Dead embroidery on the chest (machine embroidered) on black broadcloth with a big pocket out of printed day of the dead fabric. Looked like a fun, simple project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love embroidery but have the same problem as you. This winter I'm planning to dive into Sublime Stitching and see where it takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such fun projects. i've totally stashed my embroidery too - it's so hard to pick up when the yarn is all so squishy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so colorful! Love all of them, but especially the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I decided that "blank" pillowcases (for the bed) were no longer allowed, and they all have to be decorated with embroidery. Of course, this is only 2 pillowcases, since the rest are family heirlooms that are already embroidered (or the husband's "special pillowcase" that I'm not allowed to mess with).
    I also enjoy just putting them in hoops and displaying on the wall. They make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. QUILTS, QUILTS, QUILTS! I can't wait to reveal my current quilting project. And yes, it includes embroidery. (so... it might take a little while before the reveal. Hmm.... maybe I'll do a "finished quilt top" reveal)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It