Quilts for Friends

Monday, April 14, 2014

Disco Quilt Basted

Our dear friends, Scott and Melissa, adopted a little baby boy last year and it took me until his first birthday to make him his own quilt. Scott and Melissa love nature and animals and camping, so I pulled together lots of fabrics with a woodland feel or palette into this quilt. I added a bit of the fabric from our guest room, where they stay often, to the quilt as a little personal touch (the brown leaves on the top of the stack below).

Disco Quilt Fabric

I used the Disco Quilt pattern from Jaybird Quilts and about 40 different fat eighths to make a scrappy patchwork quilt in the youth size. I'm pretty sure this was my first time pressing all seams open on a quilt. It definitely made for a flatter finished product without the extra bulk. My fingers didn't appreciate so many close calls with the iron, though!

Disco Quilt seams

I must have taken the three below pictures in the middle of a blackout. The colors in the top photos more closely reflect the true look of the quilt.

Disco Quilt

My one change to the pattern was to lop off the triangle points on the top and bottom of the quilt. I'm a fan of plain and simple edges. I quilted it with a meandering loop pattern.

Disco Quilt


The backing is a gold Juliana Horner pattern from Joann and the binding is from the Botanics line.

Disco Quilt

Melissa and Scott also have one of my blogging hiatus quilts, which was made in January 2013. I think this was mostly made up of Denyse Schmidt green prints and white Kona cotton, but my memory escapes me on this. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

HST Quilt

HST Quilt

HST Quilt

2 comments

  1. they're both wonderful! but that top one makes me swoon... so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the colors and pattern in this one. You're one amazing quilter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It