fresh food

Wednesday, August 26, 2009


Jon and I have recently started going to the local farmer's market every weekend. I hate grocery shopping with a vengeance, so this is a fun way to for us to buy fresh fruits and veggies for the week without the hassle of a wayward cart and long checkout lines.




We stock up on veggies and then spend the afternoon cleaning, peeling and chopping up vegetables for the week. It's been fun trying out new recipes to use up the food. Our garden has been doing pretty well for us this summer, although the crazy weather has made for some stunted growth in our cucumbers and zucchini. We just planted a second crop of daikon radishes, scallions, radishes and lettuce for a fall harvest and have been enjoying plenty of eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and green beans .

We've been transitioning to a plant-based diet lately after I discovered The Vegan Table Cookbook via Lolly Knitting Around. Whether or not you're vegetarian or vegan, this book is excellent for finding fresh new ways to use vegetables, mainly because of its thorough index. We made Kale and Cauliflower Salad after wondering what to do with the gorgeous purple cauliflower that we purchased last weekend. And, we also made a delicious batch of Potato Leek Soup to use the potatoes and leeks we bought. The book has been getting great reviews and we have really enjoyed expanding our food horizons.



12 comments

  1. nice haul! i'm jealous of your peaches. do you have CSA's in your area? I'll have to check out that cookbook. thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! You'll have to let me know where that farmer's market is. The stuff you buy in grocery stores is so bland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowzers - what an amazing colorful bounty of fruits and vegetables!
    i'm going to check that book out (thanks for the suggestion), i am always looking for ways to move my family towards a vegetarian-based diet.
    glad to hear your garden is doing so well too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you really got the goods at the farmer's market this weekend-so colorful! When it's midweek here I start dreaming of the market. I'm going to put that cookbook on hold at the library pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's a lot of great veggies, and wonderful color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty veggies - that cauliflower is amazing! Yep, I'm back on the raw plan so lots of veggies here too...although I wish we had farmer's markets like yours here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to check that book out! We aren't vegetarians but we eat a lot of fruits and veggies and could always use some new recipes. Your score from the farmers market makes my mouth water, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my god, what a loot! this is just all so appetizing and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. all those veggies look delicous, especially the purple cauliflower. gorgeous. nothing beats summer produce. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so hungry looking at all of that. I can't stand it! Living in a hotel definitely has it's disadvantages....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our oldest is vegan and I've had a LOT of success with "Vegan With A Vengeance". Fabulous recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that you are enjoying The Vegan Table - that book is fabulous and I use it all the time. I also really like Veganomicon, and the other books by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. You have some amazing veggies and fruits there - this is truly the best time of year for good fresh eating :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It