adventures in felting

Thursday, December 3, 2009

I've never tried any fulled knitting projects until now. Someone in my summer knitting group did this Noni pattern and I loved the outcome of her bag so much that I bought the pattern and yarn to make my own version.





I used Paton's Classic Merino, doubled, for this. Previously, I used the same yarn on Jon's Cobblestone sweater and I don't remember it being as soft and squishy as it was this time around (maybe I'm just becoming more acclimated to working with wool?). It was quite satisfying to go through so much yarn so quickly and I love the contrast of the lemongrass and dark grey together.



Noni Medium Sized Carpet Bag





I didn't get an after picture with my bag and water bottle, but the felted bag is now the height of the water bottle.

I finished up the bag, took one pre-felting photo and stuck it in the washer for one hour of agitation. It was so exciting to see the bag start shrinking. After it seemed small enough, I ran it through the final spin cycle and set it out to dry. The next morning I starting making a lining for the bag. Due to some measurement errors on my part, I made the lining too small. Because I didn't have any extra fabric, I stuck the bag back in the washer to let it felt some more. After another 30 minutes, the bag finally shrunk down enough to fit my lining.

Noni Medium Sized Carpet Bag





yay for having fabric in my stash that matched and using what I had on hand!

I followed the directions on the Noni site for adding more reinforcements to the bag (think giant plastic needlepoint canvas). Then I added the handles and sewed in the lining.


Noni Medium Sized Carpet Bag




I've been procrastinating posting this project because I wanted to find the perfect flower for the bag, but, as you can see, that didn't happen. I think I'll eventually make a fabric flower using this flower tutorial, but for now I'm calling the bag finished. This is going to be a new project bag for new knitting projects that I start.



Noni Medium Sized Carpet Bag





Pattern: Medium Sized Carpet Bag by Noni



Yarn: Paton's Merino, doubled



Needles: Size 11





Ravelry link: craftr's Carpet Bag

It was fun to try out this felting pattern, but I don't think I'm going to become addicted to felting just quite yet. It's a bummer to lose stitch definition due to felted fabric, so it's hard to want to spend a lot of time knitting something that is just going to be felted.  I do have two more smaller felting projects that I'd like to try, though: Felted Ballerina Slippers and the French Press Slippers.






19 comments

  1. I love felting! I've made numerous bags but never lined them, love the fabric you used. Did you hand stitch the fabric in or sew it on your sewing machine? The handles are cool too! Looks like it will be a great bag for projects, and so stylish too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the bag. The fabric for the lining is perfect, and how neat is it that you could felt it down a bit more until it fit! GREAT job!
    I bought a Nicky Epstein [?] pattern for a knitted, felted bag - it looked like a wicker flower basket with roses spilling out everywhere - I hunted that pattern down for months, sure I could learn to knit and make it, took one look at the pattern and gave it away. Your bag looks a bit easier, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable!! I've never tried felting since I've never knitted anything that needed to be felted but now I want to make a bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks awesome! I really like the lining, too.
    I'm not a huge fan of felting either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A.dorable!! and i love the fabric you chose for the lining. you have a such a great eye for matching patterns and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great bag! i love the stripes and the colors. it looks like it's pretty sturdy... are the sides stiff enough to almost stand up on their own? i've been thinking about maybe needing a replacement for the lovely straw tote that i bought years ago in paris that travels with me to work every day. i love that it's got enough body to stand, open, without slouching, but the straw is also somewhat brittle and is beginning to show some wear and tear. maybe felt would be a good choice for the next bag... i've got a bundle of felted sweaters sitting in my craft room. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat project! Where did you get the handles for the bag? I've been looking for something like that to make a fat quarter hand bag, but no luck... I found some bamboo handles but they're a tidbit ugly :)
    Cheers,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your blog header. Cute bag. I started a Booga bag too long ago and need to finish it so I can try felting. I have a front loader so I don't feel like felting is very convenient. I am sure my sister wouldn't mind if I borrowed her top loader. You have inspired me to get that project back out... after I finish Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so into felting right now. Your bag looks great....And the lining brings it all together. Your blog is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you choosed great colors!!! your bag is so beautiful and sounds easy to do. I think could be a great idea for a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright, I need to get myself some Paton's right now and felt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great bag! I love the colors - the lining fabric is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great lil' bag! loving those colors...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving the lining - gorgeous inside of the bag to match the lovely lemon and grey - a classic combination that always works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find felting rather tricky that is why am not yet that good at it. I also forget to check it regularly, no wonder I shrank my newly knitted scarf into a tiny foot mat!!! You did incredible with your bag. I like the colourful lining as well.
    p.s. you crafting area in your last post is cozy>

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE those stripes! i've never felted anything (successfully on purpose, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so super cute! I have never tried felting, but I think I might have to add it to the list. Love the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful job on the bag! I love the lining fabric. I am not really into felting. All that knitting and work and then having it shrink down to nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It