Work in Progress Wednesday: Quarter Square Patchwork Quilt

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Quarter Square Log Cabin

Inspiration usually strikes me when I'm incorporating new fabric acquisitions into my stash. For this quilt, I started combining colors from a new bundle of peppered cottons and pulled out a grouping of mint, fuchsia, eggplant, steel grey, and black. After adding some coordinating prints, the stack sat in my sewing room for a week or so until I remembered that I had been wanting to make a quarter square log cabin.

Quarter Square Triangle Quilt in Progress

I first stumbled across Rossie's quarter square log cabin tutorial on her instagram feed. She created this quick video that demonstrated how easy it was to make quarter square log cabins with an accuquilt die. I later searched her blog and found a tutorial for the process in this blog post.

I used the same measurements for the blocks that Rossie used. The centers of each square started at 8"x8" and the side strips were 3"x8" and 3"x13". For this quilt, I made 48 large cabins and then cut them each into 4 different 6"x6" squares (196 final blocks). I used up most of 24 different fat quarters for this quilt.

Quarter Square Triangle Quilt in Progress


Quarter Square Triangle Quilt in Progress

I didn't have enough of one fabric to make all of the centers the same, so I stuck with grey and black solids and prints to help unify things.

Quarter Square Triangle Quilt in Progress

It took a bit of time to lay out the quilt...more time if you count all the shooing away I had to do to keep Koko from walking over the floor (it's hard to resist that face!).

Quarter Square Triangle Quilt in Progress

I ended up using a controlled random patchwork pattern by alternating two block orientations every other row. This quilt recipe is such a fun way to make a patchwork quilt with lots of variety.

The final top size is 12 blocks (66") by 16 blocks (88"). I finished basting the quilt last Sunday night and now I'm letting it sit until I find the perfect quilting pattern.

 Quarter Square Log Cabin

I'm linking up to Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday for this post.

3 comments

  1. I love it! Really cool color scheme. I love the giant clamshell on your bed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aahhh I really like the simple blocks that can make such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are great, but I also love the variety of prints that you used. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It