What a Bunch of Squares

Saturday, March 8, 2008



I just pulled this quilt out of the dryer...so satisfying to finish such a long term project (total lapsed time: 9 months!). I'm so glad I decided to pick this up and finish it last weekend. It feels good to cross another thing off the list!





Here are the details:

Quilt Pattern: What a Bunch of Squares from Denyse Schmidt Quilts



Fabric: Solid fabric is Kona Cotton, Binding fabric is a great leaf print that I picked up in Japan last year. I don't know the designer, but I have seen it in this online store, re:makeables, featured here. I used the binding technique seen here to finish it off.





Quilting inspiration: this great vertical line quilting seen here, and since then here and here. I used white cotton thread, marked vertical lines 2-3" apart from each other.



Final size: 76" x 100" (a skinny, but long queen size)







(we have the MALM bedroom set from IKEA. Thank goodness, or else this skinny quilt would not have reached down to the bottom of our mattress on a normal, non-platform bed)



20 comments

  1. Wow! That looks great. Makes me wish I still had mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! makes me want to take up quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful! I love it! I know what you mean about the feeling of a finished project. Congrats on getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too nice, I love it! I also love the bed. It's so simple and modern and looks great with the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great pictures and a beautiful quilt! I like the design on the binding fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. It looks very snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks beautiful, i am also so glad you finished it!! and that green leaf fabric? beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! Found your blog through flickr. LOVE, love, love this quilt. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I've got a couple smaller quilting projects in the works and can't wait to make something bigger for our bed. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE IT!!! Wow, a queen size quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe I was one of your "heres". Vertical lines are the way to go on this quilt. I would have tried DS suggested stitch in the ditch quilting, but I still have figured out the best way to manuver a full sized quilt under my tiny machine. I love finished projects- espesically the super long kind. It looks wonderful on your bed. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic job! I just posted an adaptation I made on that pattern for a crib quilt in February.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic!! I love it, the colors and the squares, everything! I bet it feels awesome to finish it after so long... I am so like that... I'll start something and finish it months later after it's been in hiding for awhile. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, that quilt is gorgeous! Beautiful colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! Congratulations. It's got to be so fun to go upstairs and see something fresh and new that you made. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and seeing all of the wonderful things that you have made over the past 2+ years. Congrats on finishing this latest quilt, it looks very comfy. I am just about to finish up my first quilt. I hope to post about it soon.
    Can't wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it such a great feeling of accomplishment when you get a project that big finished? I love the way you put fabrics together. This looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quilt is just SO inspiring!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It