Soup Swap: White Chicken Chili

Monday, September 22, 2008

Soup swap

Many thanks to Jessica of Turkey Cookies for hosting an autumn soup swap. I took her queue a few weeks ago to start making big batches of soup and freezing for work lunches and it's worked out great for us so far. It's so nice to have the variety each day rather than eating leftovers of one type of soup for an entire week! And it's nice to not have to think about what's for lunch (or dinner) during the week now that we're so busy in the evenings and running around to different events and classes.

I first sampled this recipe three years ago at my friend, Linda's, annual chili party. I'd never tried white chili before and I officially became addicted to this stuff. The recipe is super easy to make and can feed Jon and I for about a week. I'm sure it makes at least 12 servings.







Linda's White Chicken Chili

47.6 oz.Great Northern White Beans (undrained)
6 cooked/chopped chicken breast
1 extra large onion chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
8oz can green chilis
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper
6 cups chicken broth (1 large can)
1 block Monterrey Jack cheese

1. Boil chicken breast until cooked. Cut into bite-sized pieces
2. Saute onion, garlic, chilis, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper for 15 minutes.
3. In large stock pot, add beans and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add sauteed ingredients.
4. Add Monterrey Jack cheese to boiling soup before serving. Take off burner so cheese doesn't burn on bottom. Be careful of burning if you reheat the chili.


And, here are a couple other chili recipes that we've been enjoying around our house, thanks to Rachael Ray:

Buffalo Chicken Chili
Creamy Chicken Apple Chili



9 comments

  1. I love white chili but have never tried making it. Thanks for the great recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the chili recipes. I'm so excited that soup weather is nearly here! (it comprises about half of our menu in the winter, it sees.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made white chili....but this sounds divine! I think I would prefer it over the traditional stuff. I'll definitely be giving this a try very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just *may* have had this for dinner...and it was so yummy! Thanks for joining in the Soup Swap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this looks delicious! i've never had white chili before, but would try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so yum, and perfect for this cold weather we are getting here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be trying this soon. I just have to wait until a cooler day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this recipe looks delish

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It