another year older

Sunday, September 14, 2008

We celebrated Jon's birthday on Friday night with dinner out at our favorite sushi place, a cupcake cake (thanks to my Grandma for giving me this cute pan for my birthday) and present opening. Now, Jon and I are both the same age again and officially in our late 20's.





I tried making this cake from scratch, without cake flour, which was a big mistake. After I had put the cake in the oven, I went back to read the recipe reviews and it only got 1 out of 5 stars. I need to make sure to check little details like that before starting a recipe. And, after attempting to frost this, I realized that I need some lessons from my mom! She puts me to shame.

I've been on a reading rampage over here, both for school and because of the Twilight saga, so not much crafting is going on. I did finish Betty's block, just in time, for the Common Thread's Quilt Bee, though. This was my first attempt at applique with fusible web, and I'll definitely be using it again for some other projects.





15 comments

  1. heeeyyyyy ... no boys allowed??!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that cake, I need to get one of those pans. The block is so cute, I love the treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cute cake! love the curls on the frosting...
    and yeah, the twilight saga totally sucked me in too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Jon, that cake looks delish! I love your treehouse block. Super cute. The curtains are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a yummy cake. I really wanted to make my mother a cake for her birthday after seeing so many yummy homemade ones in blogland, but alas she asked for an icecream sundae...and I could handle that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost entire days reading the Twilight saga as well. I put The Host on hold and am currently waiting patiently for others to finish it so that I can have my turn. I'm looking forward to reading the book that Meyer wrote for the adult audience.
    Also, the cupcake cake pan is great. I might try to get one of myself.
    Hope LIS is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, I meant I wanted a cake pan FOR myself not OF myself. I don't want to bake a cake that looks like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a fun birthday! and that cake is so cute rebekah! that quilt block is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, what a cute cupcake cake! I love the way the sprinkles are scattered on top and falling into the plate. Happy Birthday to Jon!
    Wow, that block is fantastic! I am really looking forward to seeing everyones quilts from Common Threads. The fabric that you used for the curtains is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake looks so delicious. I would love to make cakes and learn how to decorate them, but then I would have to eat it all (though I'm sure my husband would help!). And the tree house is awfully darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday to Jon!
    I love the treehouse block. Very fun take on the idea. I love the little curtains and that tree fabric works peerfectly too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It