jumping on the granny square train

Sunday, September 9, 2007



I cannot tell you how many times I have started and stopped a granny square project in the last 10 years! My aunt, Dani, and friends, Harriet and Kate, have taught me how to crochet and make granny squares multiple times. I’ve picked out the yarn to make an entire afghan and then just given up on the project months later. The Salvation Army has received all of my yarn and crochet donations over the years each time after I’ve abandoned ship.



This time, I’ve decided, things are going to be different. I’m actually going to finish this afghan! So I've jumped on the granny-along train that lots of craft bloggers joined months ago.



I went into Michaels last week to buy a cake pan for Jon’s birthday on Wednesday to no avail and came out instead with a bag of yarn and some cute crochet hooks. After a few trial run squares that looked pretty scrappy, I stocked up on the library’s collection of crochet how-to books and realized that I was doing the double crochet completely wrong. Thank goodness for how-to books and online video tutorials!



I’ve been catching up on podcasts and enjoying the breeze coming into our living room this afternoon while hooking these squares. I didn’t realize this when I picked out the yarn, but the five colors that I chose (cream will be the border around all the squares) are all colors that we have painted rooms in our house or used as accent colors in each room, so this should be a pretty versatile afghan when it’s finished.



No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It