Handel's Messiah

Sunday, December 2, 2007



Jon and I enjoyed a lovely afternoon concert at Fort Street Presbyterian Church in Detroit this afternoon. Our friend, Jodi, bravely joined the chorus this fall (yes, she would be the one who refuses to hum in front of her classical guitar teacher) and made her concert debut last night and this afternoon.



The church was stunning and hearing the verses come to life through the singers and instrumentalists was an amazing way to hear the Christmas story come to life. Jon and I both agree that we felt chills and heavy waves of emotion throughout the piece.



My favorite part is definitely the chorus: "For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9 : 6)" Oh, to be able to play the trumpet for this chorus! I'm still bumming that the flute was not invented in time for Handel to include it in his score. I would have loved the chance to play in the accompaniment!



And, how can you not go through a Christmas season without hearing the Hallelujah chorus at least once?



Thanks, Jodi, for letting us share in this special day with you!

Jodimessiah_2



2 comments

  1. Thank you for being there! It was truly magical for me--and I hope you, and the rest of the audience, felt that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful time.
    I had to comment on your new header. I have a Christmas tree that looks just like that. It has a music box on the bottom. It was my husbands when he was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It