ornaments!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007



One of my new favorite Christmas traditions is participating in the Holiday Ornament Swap hosted by cake+pie and freshly{blended}. Last year I made little felt button tree ornaments and this year I just finished up these patchwork star ornaments. I really enjoy receiving little packages filled with new handmade ornaments for our tree throughout the month of December.





I first saw the concept for these patchwork stars in the holiday issue of Marie Claire Idées online and spent an evening driving around town trying to find a copy at the bookstore so that I could copy the pattern. When the new issue didn't show up, I had to lean back on my trusty geometry skills and figure out some angles. (did you know that they now make flexible protractors? I have broken many a plastic protractor in my day).





I picked a few red and green fabrics from my stash, cut the pieces into diamonds and did a couple trial runs to work out the kinks in the design. The stars were finished up on Sunday night and photographed and mailed yesterday afternoon. I received my first ornament from the swap yesterday and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the ornaments soon.





10 comments

  1. That sounds like such a cool swap. You did a great job with your ornaments. They are lovely. I can't wait to see what you are going to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on the stars!! How did you get involved with the swapping? Is there a website that you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. um...share the pattern!? these are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share the dimensions? They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebekah! I love the blog...thanks for telling me about it. Now I am inspired to finish the afghan I began over 5 years ago. By the way, what is the name of the site you go to that notifies you each time a blog you read is updated? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great! I missed out on the ornament swap this year, but I will definitely have to look out for it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh these are great!! You so need to do a tutorial for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These ornaments are too cute. I have searched around everywhere for a pattern for this star without any luck. I had purchased a star made out of the old fabrics last year and wanted to make as gifts and I finally gave up so what is the secret to figuring it out the degrees. I am excited that I might actually be able to make them this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It