no more granny squares

Saturday, December 1, 2007



I have finally finished this never-ending granny square afghan! I'm so glad to be able to cross another project off my to-do list. Plus, I've been wanting to make an afghan like this for at least 8 years and have had just about everyone under the sun try to teach me basic square construction, so it feels great to have a finished project that can actually be used!





I had originally intended to make this 8 blocks by 10 blocks, but after lining the blocks up side by side I realized that I'd need to make some extra blocks to increase it to 9 x 12. Well, after starting the additional blocks, I ran out of yarn and was only able to finish an additional 18, so the final size is 9 blocks by 11 blocks (52 in x 64 in). The sizing is a little wonky because my gauge change about halfway through the project. Actually, I had to re-crochet the outer round of about 20 squares because they were way too big in comparison with the other squares. This helped to make the square sizes more uniform but contributed to the crookedness of the whole project In Jon's words: Aren't afghans supposed to be crooked? Thanks, Jon!





This is my first and probably only crochet project for quite a while. I've found crochet to one of the only craft projects that really agitates my left wrist, and I had to limit my time on this due to pain, so I'm not sure I'll be able to do another large scale project any time soon. Because of this, I ended up sewing the squares together instead of using the single crochet method. I'm happy with how the afghan came together and the sewing was much easier on my wrists!





I used Vanna's choic acrylic yarn on this. Unfortunately, about halfway through the project I discovered my preference to merino wool, so at times it was just a bear to work with. On the whole, it's a great acrylic yarn, though and was great to work with...very soft, not too much splitting and no knots within the ball of yarn. I used about 19 balls of yarn (170 yards each). 2 each of the 6 colors included and 7 of the main color, so the project cost about $50 total. A great price considering how long this project helped to occupy me.





Our little kitties have taken a liking to this afghan, so they've been kneading away at it and in turn pulling out all of my sewn in ends. Oh, well! I guess they get to enjoy it too.





Now it's back to the regularly scheduled knitting and stitchette-making!



14 comments

  1. Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your blog after seeing your post in the granny-along. My granny afghan is on hold as I work on Christmas projects. It was nice to see your pictures of Japan. My parents lived there for 4 years back in the 1960's. I would like to visit there someday. I had several penpals from there growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your finished afghan on the Granny-Along and absolutely love it! Great that I have found your blog through this. It's wonderful! Going back now, to read it thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is GORGEOUS! Great job! I can't believe how quickly you finished it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is fabulous! You really did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzza!! Nice work there, chica. Perfect for curling up with on a snowy December night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this. I really enjoy your colour choices. It's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations! it loooks lovely and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It look fantastic! I commend you on the patience it took to make that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absolutely stunning! Great job. That is so much work, but now you have something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, your cat seems to like the blanket as much as i do! and i also REALLY like your banner - those trees are GREAT! i'd love to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its looks beautiful!
    Kind regards,
    Sonnja, from the Netherlands
    BEERTJE ZONN

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! It looks so amazing, and sure weaving in the ends was fun. It was well worth it, the finised product is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! It looks so amazing, and sure weaving in the ends was fun. It was well worth it, the finished product is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It